Thursday, September 1, 2011

Natural Hair Care :: Round 2

I think I figured out why my hair freaked out when I used a castile soap hair shampoo (no poo?) recipe. This blog helped put the puzzle pieces together.

Since the 'cones (dimethicone, etc.  Go read your conditioner bottle, it's in there) in traditional conditioners coat your hair shaft, your hair does not absorb moisture.  When you begin using a product without the 'cones, and you use a natural soap to strip away the coating on your hair, your hair is revealed as the dry, dull, limp frizzball that it really is.  Without traditional conditioners to weigh your hair down and coat the hair shafts (you know that nice, slippery feeling conditioner gives you?  It's bad!) your hair, or rather, my hair, stood up all over the place as a static-filled, ratty mess.  Apparently it takes a month or so for your hair to become healthy again.  That must be why my hair loved (LOVED) that deep conditioner recipe and soaked so much of it up.

Aside from the frizz, though, my hair has been a lot more manageable since I've made the switch.  I'm really stuck on this all natural stuff.

I am not picky about using gel, hairspray, or leave-in conditioners that are chemical free.  They don't touch my skin, so I don't care.  At least, that's what I am trying to convince myself.  A person can only handle so much change.


*Update:  I now use conditioner only every other time I shower.  During the intermittent times I use the vinegar water trick to detangle my hair.  I can't even use traditional conditioners anymore because they just make my hair look greasy now.  Having to use so much less product on a regular basis is saving us a lot of money!  Huzzah!



No comments:

Post a Comment