Wednesday, August 24, 2011

It Pays to Be a Pest!

We have had huge, major, ridiculous problems with AT&T since we moved.  The guy who installed our interwebs apparently wrote down that he installed everything.  People at AT&T couldn't read his handwriting and wouldn't believe we didn't have all of those services.  Major charges and made-up fees later, I had a cow.

I called this gal literally twice a day for two weeks, then started texting her so she could remember what I said, until the problem was (mostly) fixed.  There was still an extra $55 charge that shouldn't have been there, but compared to what the bill was originally, it was almost a win.  So I growled a grumble and decided to move on with life.

Then AT&T decided they were really, really sorry.  It has been AWESOME.  Hello, ridiculously high rebates, discounted service, more rebates, coupons in the mail, and a "Thanks for being our customer" letter from the V.P. of the company.  I know his secretary probably did a bulk mailing of those, but whatever.  They have made up for my weeks of frustration and I am still a happy customer.

Plus, we all know AT&T is way better than Verizon.

Pestering companies has become a recurring theme.  I long ago learned it paid off big time to politely bother companies when something didn't go right.  They want to know.  For example, a manager at Home Depot closed down a section of their store 30 minutes early, wouldn't unlock the gate for me to load up some trees (Seriously?  I knew exactly what I want.  Big purchase, I need five minutes of your time), and I knew from experience this was a HUGE, MAJOR retail no-no.

So I wrote a very polite letter to Home Depot about it.  You know what happened?  Half of my trees were free.  FREE TREES!

The moral of the story is to be a polite pest.  Tell people what you want!  Your companies will thank you.



No comments:

Post a Comment